High-speed rail board reaffirms commitment to bring bullet train to Southern California

High-speed rail board reaffirms commitment to bring bullet train to Southern California

High-Speed Rail Authority board members on Thursday reaffirmed California’s commitment to bring the bullet train to Southern California despite a dramatic alteration in the plan that would send the high-speed train to Northern California before it heads to the Los Angeles Area.

Board members had been set to adopt the newest changes to the multi-billion project at a meeting in San Jose, but they postponed the vote for another week so rail officials could ease lawmakers and affected residents’ concerns about the revised plan.

The revised plan includes shifting the starting point from Central Valley to Merced as well as adding a new station in Wasco, close to Bakersfield.

Trying to reassure concerned officials that the revised plan calling for the high-speed train to head first to San Jose rather than to Anaheim would mean that the train would never make it to the Los Angeles, Jeff Morales said the state would spend $4 billion bring the train there.

When asked for a comment, the Rail Authority Chairman said, “We’ve tried to reassure anxious Southern California leaders that the project will still go there, despite the detour.”

The officials have pitched the first section between the Central Valley and San Jose for $21 billion as the lone way to ensure a feasible section of the line gets built with the available funding.

The first stretch of the $64 billion project is expected to start operating sometime in 2025, three years later and nearly fifty miles shorter than the original planned route that would have first linked to the San Fernando Valley.

Category: